31 March, 2010

Um, hi. My name is kelsey and I'm working with the blah blah blah campaign?

I am, officially, that annoying, extravagantly spotted young person you avoid at all costs.  I am a PRECINCT WALKER!  One of those earnest twerps who come to the door trying to get you to vote for things you don't care about.  I honestly can't believe it.  And guess what else?  I did phone soliciting for like three hours tonight.  I HATE phone solicitors.  Gaah.  Many people at their now cold dinners are loathing me right now.  It's a funy feeling.
It's one of those bewildering jobs, so confusing and ill-organized that it will make me laugh when I tell my children about it in twenty years. But right now, it just stresses me out and makes my feet hurt.  For nine hours and 45 minutes I worked, and during that time I ate one bag of fruit snacks. And that's all.  And I'm one of those people who buys bags and bags of overpriced airport food to bundle onto planes just because I am so afraid of going hungry for four hours.  Boy oh boy.  If I didn't loose weight today, I am going to be sincerely upset.
How am I, such a committed idler, possibly doing this? I have no idea.  The mercenary side of my nature has reared its greedy head.   To be honest, I am completely broke.  "More than usually hard up" as they say.  It would be nice to have a little cash.
The work is not that bad, just a bit tedious sometimes.  I did enjoy talking with an English lady on my walk.  And, in the evening during the phone calling, when a soon-to-be 86 year old wanted to chat about her family for a while, I didn't stop her.  It made me feel like a human again.
But I feel sorry for the people I'm bothering.  Particularly when they're older.  I try to be as brief as possible, but I still hate making them stand there or listen to me for so long.  Erg.  I CANNOT believe I'm doing this.  Emily and I are supposed to go again on Friday - we'll see what happens.

Completely random, but - I found this through Jane Austen Today, and Helena Bonham Carter reads excellently.  I adore books on tape.  Or, audiobooks, I suppose they ought to be called.  I'm so used to calling them 'tapes'.


I really like Helena Bonham Carter.  And in Alice in Wonderland She wasn't some roaring, gigantic, over-the-top character.  And, strange as it sounds, it was totally believable. "I love a morning execution, don't you?"  Ah! Perfect!

Anyways, I'm exhausted.  If only I had a warm pig belly for my aching feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment