15 November, 2011

Welcome to the world, my child.


The other day I went to a concert with a buddy.   And it was, as I told my somewhat bewildered companion afterwards, "a night of epiphanies."

SOME OF THE STUFF I REALIZED DURING SAID CONCERT:

1.  I am 21 years old.  I am a woman.  I am basically an adult (though not necessarily a grown-up).

2. It doesn't matter that I've never heard of the Pixies.  It doesn't matter that I don't know any of these indie bands.  It doesn't matter that I'm not cool.  I don't have to prop up my self-esteem up by thinking twiddly little things like, "oh, well, I probably know way more about Jane Austen than they do," because it just doesn't matter.  (And it might not be true.  Someday I might meet a person who knows more.  I won't say it's impossible, just highly unlikely.)

3. One of the benefits of being out of the loop (see above) is that I get to experience things for the first time as a fairly sentient adult.  This is super fun.

4. I'm doing the right thing, majoring in art.  Choosing a major has been a long, horrifying drama, and every once in a while I still have an angst fest about it all.  But I finally think I'm sure now.  For realz.  I can do good things for the world with this degree.  Going on the dole seems to be the career prospect that would await me if I followed any other path.  And as much as I love to say, "on the dole", doing good things for the world might be more enjoyable. 

5. I can't wait for my life to start anymore.  I can't wait to become things or see things or eat things.  Someday I will get old and won't be able to learn new tricks, flying will be too tiring and my taste buds will be dead.  I need to go now!  I can't wait to make things until after college, when I've supposedly "learned how."  I might get a piano dropped on me tomorrow!  Up! Quick! 

 I swear I listened to the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment